Archive for the ‘new homes for sale’ Category
Join local Austin homebuilder, Buffington Signature Homes, for a tour of the ins and outs of buying a new home in the capital city! Where to buy, what to look for, where it’s hot and where it’s cool!
There are lots of great places to live in Austin. Use these tips to find the perfect neighborhood and home for your lifestyle!
1. North, South, East & West—head any direction from downtown Austin and you’ll discover four distinctive areas of town, each with their own character and atmosphere.
- North: North Austin and Round Rock are home to many of the region’s biggest employers, with great shopping, accessibility and family-friendly living.
- South: The original home of “Keep Austin Weird”! South Austin offers a unique experience of the culture and style that made the city famous.
- East: Enjoying a resurgence in economic development and investment, East Austin is home to great historical neighborhoods, arts and eateries.
- West: As you head west, the city gives way to the Texas Hill Country. With grand hillside homes and nearby access to Lake Travis, life is good in the west.
2. Major Roads & Highways. Several major roads make getting around town a lot easier… unless you catch them at the wrong time.
- I-35: The main North/South thoroughfare, I-35 bisects the city just east of Downtown. Connected to just about everything, but beware of rush hour traffic and backups.
- Mopac / Loop 1: Also running North/South, Mopac loops west of downtown and can be faster and less congested than I-35.
- 183/183-A: Running southeast to northwest, 183 takes you from the airport, north of Downtown into North Austin. From there, the 183-A toll road offers easy access from Cedar Park and Leander.
- 290 / 71 / Ben White Blvd: Running East-West from the airport into the Hill Country, Ben White connect South Austin to I-35 and Mopac.
3. Schools. Austin area schools are consistently ranked among the best in the state and even the country. For the top rated public schools in the area, check out the Eanes School District in West Austin, and the Round Rock and Leander ISDs. There are also several highly-rated independent and church-affiliated private schools throughout the city.
4. Colleges & Universities. Austin is perhaps best known as the home of the University of Texas. UT sits right in the middle of the city, just north of the Capital, with nationally ranked undergraduate, graduate and adult education programs. Just south of the river, St. Edwards University is a private, Roman Catholic university known for quality liberal arts programs. Several Austin Community Collage campuses can be found throughout the city, offering quality undergraduate and adult programs, as well as Early College Start programs for high school students.
5. Live Music & Events. “The Live Music Capital of the World” is home to more than 200 live music venues and over 1,900 local musicians! On any given night, you can find incredible live music on the world-famous 6th Street or nearby in the Warehouse District, another growing entertainment area. Local favorites for live performances include Stubb’s BBQ, Auditorium Shores and the newly completed Austin Music Hall. You can also check out hundreds of local and national acts every spring at South by Southwest (SXSW) and at Austin City Limits Music Festival in late summer.
6. Parks & Lakes. The city’s parks, greenbelts and lakes offer endless possibilities for outdoor fun. Barton Springs is a popular attraction, at an average temperature of 68° year round! Lady Bird Lake and Lake Travis offer great places for boating and skiing, and miles of hike & bike trails throughout the city are perfect for exercise and leisure. The most popular outdoor destination is Zilker Park, located along the south shore of Lady Bird Lake. Zilker Park is home to a popular dog park, the famous Barton Springs Pool as well as one of the largest trailheads leading into the Barton Creek greenbelt.
7. Sports. Great sports action is never far away, with UT athletics throughout the school year, as well as the Austin Aztex USL soccer team and the Round Rock Express baseball team, affiliate of the Houston Astros! Coming in 2009 or 2010, the Texas Stars AHL hockey team will hit the ice in Cedar Park as the top affiliate of the Dallas Stars NHL franchise.
8. Temperature & Climate. Bring your sunscreen! Austin averages 300 days of sunshine per year, with hot summers and mild winters. The coldest month in Austin is typically January, with overnight lows averaging 40°. In the summers, late July and August are typically the hottest, with average daytime temperatures in the mid to upper 90s.
9. Shopping. Key shopping centers for the area include Southpark Meadows and Barton Creek Mall in South Austin, La Frontera and the Round Rock Premium Outlets in Round Rock, as well as Lakeline Mall and the new 1890 Ranch in Cedar Park. For great local boutiques and arts, check out the great clothing and vintage stores on South Congress, as well as “The Drag” on Guadalupe near the UT campus.
10. Dining. Whatever kind of food or atmosphere you’re in the mood for, there are great places to eat all over the city. Find your own favorite neighborhood eatery or look for local favorites scattered across town, like Chuy’s Tex-Mex, Gumbo’s Louisiana Style Cafe, Austin Java, Amy’s Ice Cream and Rudy’s Country Store & BBQ.
Buffington Signature Homes is locally owned and operated in Austin, proudly building new homes in the most sought-after communities in South Austin, Round Rock and Cedar Park. Dedicated to building homes that will last a lifetime, Buffington combines innovative floor plans, skilled craftsmanship and an exceptional buying experience to deliver homes that each and every customer is proud to live in.
Old World Italian Architecture Gains Popularity in US
Old World aesthetics have recently been embraced by the United States. The proof is in the architecture! By far, the most popular housing style in the United States these days, including the Southern state of Texas, is Italiante, also known as Tuscan, the Lombard or simply, the bracketed style.
Tuscan-style home plans typically feature distinctive stucco exteriors and low-pitched barrel tile roofs. Tuscan-style designs may also include arched windows, raised entries and a courtyard in addition to the following:
- Balanced, symmetrical rectangular shape
- Tall appearance, with 2, 3 or 4 stories
- Wide, overhanging eaves with brackets and cornices
- Square cupola
- Porch topped with balustraded balconies
- Side bay windows
- Molded double doors
- Roman arches above windows and doors
About the Tuscan-style
The Tuscan-style originated in England in the 1840s. Prior to that time, British homes were more formal and classical in appearance. With the picturesque movement, builders began designing elegant recreations of Italian villas. When this style was adopted by the US, it was reinvented again with an American twist. By the late 1860s, the Tuscan-style house was the most preferred architectural style for homes in the US, and it has maintained its popularity to this day. Why?
Historians say the Tuscan-style became prevalent for primarily two reasons:
- Tuscan-style homes can be built with many different kinds of materials, and the style can be adapted to a wide range of budgets
- New technologies have made the production of cast-iron and press-metal fast and affordable
If you’ve ever had the good fortune to travel to Italy, then you are already well-acquainted with the richness of the warm colors and beautiful style of this type of architectural design. Now, you no longer have to travel abroad to experience Italy; make your next house or give your current house a taste of Tuscany.
Take a moment to view an extensive photo gallery of homes that stress Tuscan design.
This article was written by Jeff Watson Homes, a custom home builder in Austin, TX who specializes in Tuscan home design. If you are looking to build a Tuscan home in Central Texas, drop Jeff Watson a line and he will be happy to talk to you about your ideas.
As a Design/Build company, Jeff Watson Homes can assure you get exactly what you are looking for. Whether you purchase one of our new homes for sale on our lot or let us help you design a new custom home to build on your lot, Jeff Watson Homes is committed to see that you remain satisfied every step of the way.